Thursday, August 03, 2006

Fahrt

You know, some languages just sound funnier than others when read in English (and I'm mindful that the opposite is probably true as well). Spanish, French, Russian? Not so funny. Thai? Funny. And I have to say, German is in the latter category, too (especially the Swiss variation). There are just a lot of syllables and sounds that can be funny when a native English speaker--or at least a sophomoric one like myself--reads them. One of the ways I've entertained myself while waiting for a tram or bus is to read the list of stops and laugh to myself (but quietly...I'm culturally sensitive like that) about the names. So without further ado, here is my list of funny tram/bus/train stops in the greater Basel area, in no particular order:

Loogstrasse
Spitzacker
Mooswasen
Im Pfeiffensack
Hügliacker
Am Hang
Rankacker
Wenkenhof
Bettenacker
Im Wasenboden
Dinkelbergstrasse
Im Langen Loh
Gempenfluh
Unterwart
Moosrain
Grabenacker
Im Schlipf
Pfaffenloh
Bad Bubendorf
Moosmatt
Zwingen
Passwang
Huggerwaldsteg
Bütz
Schupfart
Frick
Im Rank
Staffelegg
Mooshof
Mumpf
Buuseregg
Winkelweg
Titterten
Grabacker
Anything with "Dorf" in the name...there are too many to mention ("Dorf" basically means "village", and is funny with any combination of syllables)