Friday, January 26, 2007

A fun evening

All's well that ends well, but this is how I spent my Wednesday PM:

3:30pm - Board plane in Valencia
3:40pm - Scheduled departure for Munich
3:45pm - Pilot announces at least 45-minute delay due to snow in Munich
4:45pm - Depart Valencia
6:00pm - Scheduled arrival in Munich (instead flying over France or Italy)
7:00pm - Land in snowy/windy Munich
7:15pm - Bus from plane arrives at terminal, which resembles the fall of Saigon with all the cancelled and delayed flights
7:40pm - Scheduled departure for flight to Basel, which amazingly is listed as being on-time
7:50pm - Board tiny propeller plane in Munich
8:00pm - Pilot announces delay of at least 2 hours (!) due to snow, with no option of returning to the terminal
8:30pm - Flight attendants serve food and drinks to soothe the angry masses
10:00pm - Pilot announces delay of at least 45 more minutes
10:50pm - Plane moves--are we taking off?
10:55pm - Plane stops--gotta get de-iced first
11:00pm - Takeoff--yeah!!
12:15am - Arrive in snowy Basel
12:25am - No taxis available. It's cold and snowing, and I'm dressed for Spain, not Switzerland.
12:30am - Taxi finally arrives just as hypothermia begins to set in
12:50am - Arrive home

Overall I was actually lucky--I really wondered if I would even get out of Valencia, let alone make it home (my money was on having to spend the night in Munich). As much as I like that I get to see new and interesting places on trips from time to time, rest assured that there is a dark underbelly to business travel...