Friday, February 23, 2007

Kaffee und Kuchen

Since moving to Basel, I've become a big fan of the German tradition of Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and cake). For some reason, it doesn't seem to be as popular in Switzerland, but considering we're just minutes from the border with Germany, it's easy to find a place for this afternoon treat. In my experience, it seems that most cafes in Germany are crowded in the late afternoon with Germans (mainly old people) enjoying a piece of cake and coffee over conversation. And why not?!

I love cake. Thankfully, I have a friend who loves cake as much as me. Actually, Liz also shares another one of my true loves-- cows. It's always good to have a friend who completely understands the need to stop to say hi (or "moo") upon seeing cows while on a walk or a drive. Anyway, last week Liz and I took Baby out for her first Kaffee und Kuchen at Cafe Inka in the tiny nearby town of Ötlingen, Germany.



This place is the best. They always have a beautiful selection of cakes, often with fresh, local, seasonal ingredients such as cherries or strawberries. I highly recommend it to any of you in the Basel area. Does that cake look gorgeous or what?!



While Liz and I enjoyed our cake, Baby chose to snack on a more age-appropriate snack: a Zwieback!