Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My list

For quite some time now Kirk and I have been talking about all the things we will miss about living in Switzerland. Now that it's almost time for us to leave I've started to put this mental list in writing. It's funny how much of this list has to do with food. Ironically, my "what I can't wait to get back to in DC" list also has a lot to do with food! That's because I like to eat. So, at long last, here it is... in no particular order, here are the things I will miss after leaving Basel.

Friends. So I said this was in no particular order, but this one has to come first. After living somewhere for three years you end up with some really great friends. I'm very sad to have to say goodbye to them. :(

Chocolate. Enough said.

Bread. Seriously, I plan to eat more than my share of bread and chocolate over the next six weeks.

Good bakeries. I already mentioned bread, but beyond that... you can find a good bakery everywhere you look. Even the chains (eg. Sutter) have really good bread, sandwiches, and pastries. I'm a big fan of Zigerkrapfen and Silserli Käse from Sutter.

Strawberries and cherries. I absolutely love the summer when you can get both fresh strawberries and cherries. I've never tasted any better than the ones that grow right here in and around Basel.

Door-to-door farmers. I love the guys (and gals) that ring our bell to sell us apples, pears, onions, potatoes, raspberries, and even mistletoe.

The honor system. I can't tell you many often I've seen an unmanned roadside stand with fresh-picked fruit for sale with a money box sitting next to it. The same concept is used at the local self-pick flower garden.

Kids in reflective vests. As a Hausfrau, I'm often home during the day, which means I get to see the little kids walking to school. It's almost too good to be true.

The Alps. Could you ever get tired of seeing them?

Wanderweg. I love walking. And I love the little yellow signs all over Switzerland marking the walking trails.

Dogs. As is often the case in most European countries, dogs are allowed almost everywhere here. Often you won't even know that there's a giant golden retriver in a restaurant until the owners stand up to leave and the dog comes out from under the table. There are also some really cool breeds here, like Bernese and Swiss Mountain Dogs.

Poop bags. As long as I'm on the subject of dogs, how about those dog poop bags? Why can't they start this in the US?

Public transportation. We do have a car here, and we do use it sometimes, but you could easily live here without a car. I've really grown to appreciate being able to take public transportation (and walk) everywhere. I can't quite imagine what it will be like to start hauling Baby in and out of the car to run all my errands like a true American.

Travel. We love to travel. Travel within Europe is so easy and convenient. We've seen places (outside of Europe) that I never could have imagined while we've been living here. I'm sad to say goodbye to this chapter of life.

The pool. I've realized over the past few years that I need to have regular access to a swimming pool. Especially in the summer. Being members of a private sports club with a beautiful outdoor pool has been a huge perk of Kirk's work situation.

Trains. What a civilized way to travel. Swiss trains are the best, especially now that they're all non-smoking.

Yogurt. Since moving to Basel I eat yogurt almost every day. It's thick and rich and full of fat and so delicious. Nothing like the no-sugar-no-calories-no-flavor yogurt back at home.

Mumpf. I can't say enough good things about Grady's second home. I doubt we'll ever find another kennel like it.

Guy. Since meeting Guy, getting a haircut has become an event. Will we ever find anyone in DC to replace him?

France and Germany. The other day I sent an email to a friend that went something like this: "I'm thinking of doing some shopping tomorrow morning in Germany. Want to go with me?" I will never get over how cool it is to be able to drive from our home to France or Germany in a matter of minutes.

Church bells. They ring all the time around Basel, and it's a beautiful sound to me. Actually, it's the sound of Europe to me.

Heavy, Swiss food. The sausages, the schnitzel, the spätzle, the rösti, the älplermacaron...

Street sweepers. I'm not talking about the trucks that drive down the street to clean them, but rather the men who literally sweep our sidewalks. Switzerland really is that clean!

The storks. I used to think the only cool thing about storks was that they brought new babies. Now I realize that they actually are beautiful birds, and I love that they live in this region (and hang out in our neighborhood field). It would be so cool if they returned for the summer before we leave Basel at the end of March!

The zoo. The Basel zoo is a good one. It may be small, but it's in a beautiful park, and they always have lots of baby animals.

Skiing. A couple years ago, as I was sorting through a bunch of my childhood stuff in my parents' house, I found something I wrote in 7th grade. If I were to be granted three wishes (as a 12 year old), I wrote that I would want to ski in the Swiss Alps. How many people can say that one of their childhood dreams has actually come true?

Cheese. Having grown up in Wisconsin, I've always loved cheese. But never before has it been such a regular part of my diet. Remember this one: "Oh, you like the cheese..."

Fondue and Raclette. Speaking of cheese...

It's safe here! The other day I was reading a story in the Washington Post about a 17-year old boy who accidently shot his aunt (with whom he lived) while playing with his gun as they discussed plans for his 18th birthday. Crime is just not an issue here in Switzerland. I don't care what anyone says, it's just not.

Süssmost. What a great idea. It's fizzy apple juice! I became a huge fan of this while pregnant and I will miss it.

Neighborhood farms. Technically, we live in the "city" of Basel. But even here in the city we can walk to some farms! I love being able to see cows, sheep, goats, etc on a walk or bike ride. You can escape to the country within a matter of minutes.

Did I miss anything?

For those of you who are expats living in Switzerland, what would you miss if you were moving home?

Next up, part 2 of my list, in which I write about what I'm looking forward to in DC...