Friday, February 23, 2007

A true sign of spring (even though it's February)

We've been having beautiful spring weather in Basel these days. Temperatures in the 50s (maybe even 60?), sunny blue skies, the birds are singing, the days are longer... I'm reminded of how much I loved springtime in Basel. Yesterday, while walking through our neighborhood field, it became clear that spring has indeed arrived. The storks are back! Just a few days ago I wrote (in "my list") about how I had hoped to see the storks again before leaving Basel. This was definitely a special treat-- there were 7 of them gathered together in the field! Who would've thought that they'd return to their summer home this early in the year. Now I just hope that they (and we) won't be surprised by a late winter snow storm. It is possible, of course... remember last year?