Monday, December 03, 2007

I love nap time!

I remember a few months back, when Baby switched from two naps a day to just one, lots of Mom friends of mine talked about how much I would love the one-nap-a-day schedule. "They'll sleep 3 hours and you'll get so much done!", they would say. Well, it's not always guaranteed that Baby will nap for anything more than an hour and a half, in which case I get nothing done. But on days like today, when she sleeps for 3 hours, I LOVE NAP TIME! I can't believe how much I get done around the house without a baby hanging off my legs or calling "Mama!" constantly from the other room. Seriously, that is my life. She's either hanging off the back of my legs or screaming for me if I leave her sight, which makes it very hard to do the dishes, or the laundry, or cook dinner, or even pee.

I remember reading a letter from a single, childless woman to some advice columnist in the Washington Post a while back wondering what stay-at-home Moms do all day. "If I didn't work", she said (I'm paraphrasing), "I'd certainly have time to pick up the dry cleaning and do the grocery shopping and do projects around the house during the day". Since then, "what I do" all day has become an ongoing joke between Kirk and I. As you would imagine, I sit around reading People magazine and watching Oprah all day. Any of you stay-at-home Moms out there know how far from the truth this is.

Oh, but I digress... I am just pleased that Baby is now feeling well enough to nap for 3 hours (I just hear her waking), considering she is recovering from strep throat (and is still on antibiotics), and last week was NOT a good sleep week. Long naps combined with my long-awaited motivation to actually unpack the final boxes and start hanging things on our walls (we've been back in the US since March, mind you) mean that this house is finally shaping up to be livable again.