Monday, November 26, 2007

Reunited, part two

Remember this picture? This is Baby and her good friend Bennett (who lives in Basel). Baby was only 7 weeks old when this picture was taken.



These two "babies" were reunited this past weekend and here they are. Baby is now 17 months old!



I think Bennett's Mom and I were much more excited for our reunion that the two little ones were... but what can we expect considering the last time they saw each other was March (when we left Basel). Do they even remember each other?! His Mom was a dear friend of mine in Basel (one of my "Moms"), and I miss her very much. Thankfully, her parents live in the DC area, so I'll hopefully have a chance to see her from time to time when she returns for holidays, etc.

After seeing some of our Basel friends I am having a major dose of expat nostalgia, bordering on the blues. My adjustment to the US really has gone smoothly, and overall I'm happy with life here, but the truth is that I REALLY MISS BASEL! I miss my friends there, I miss the ease of getting around without a car, I miss the laid-back lifestyle, I miss the peace and quiet, I miss being able to walk to neighborhood farms to see animals, I miss the Basel zoo, I miss the bread... OK, now I'm getting trivial. Anyway, the bottom line is that while I'll always make the best of any situation-- and there are lots of good things about living here-- we (I think I can speak for Kirk) loved our three years in Basel and we so often long for our life there.