Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A breakfast conversation

Every day, I find myself in awe of how a two-year old's brain works. Madchen is a very verbal little girl, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise considering how much I like to talk, but let me tell you... it's exhausting! She's just entering the "why?" phase. Although she hasn't started using the word "why", her favorite phrases at the moment include: "what's that?", "what's that called?", "what's that noise?" and "name?". Most of the time, she knows the answers to these questions. So I ask the question right back at her and then she answers them herself. Poor Kirk... my introverted-husband-who-sometimes-likes-to-escape-all-my-talking has just now realized that, between his two girls, he may never get a break!

A recent breakfast conversation with Madchen went something like this:

Her: "Thank you (for the) pretty flowers Mommy". (commenting on the fresh flowers on the table that Kirk bought me a few days ago)

Me: "Who bought them for me?"

Her: "Daddy buy them (for) Mommy!"

Me: "That's right. Why did Daddy buy flowers for Mommy?"

Her: "Daddy love Mommy!"

Me: "Yes, Daddy loves Mommy. And who loves (Madchen)?"

Her: "Grandma Char loves (Madchen)!

Me: Silence as my heart melts at her mention of my Mom who loves her from heaven.

(Next subject)

Her: (very urgently and pointing at the newspaper across the table) "SPORTS! SPORTS!"

Me: "I'm sorry, sweetheart, Daddy took the sports section to work today."

Her: "Oh no, I love it!" (referring to the sports section, which she insists we read to her every morning at breakfast)

Me: Laughing heartily at her love for the sports section.

Her: "You crack me up!" (seriously, she said this... obviously imitating something I must say a lot when she makes me laugh)

(Next subject)

Her: "Name, flowers?" (pointing to the fresh flowers again)

Me: "I don't know the name of those flowers, sweetheart, but aren't they pretty?" (knowing that'll never be good enough for her)

Her: (more insistent) "Name, this flower?"

Me: I start making up names of flowers, because I can't think of their real names... I do this often... "those are called fluffy flowers, those are called star flowers..."

And so it continues until I come up with a name for each and every flower in the bouquet. At least I could name the daisies.

(Next subject)

Her: "Want to meet Bucky Badger someday!"

This is for real... I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried!