Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tube

I'm generally not a big TV watcher. I'm not holier-than-thou about it; it's just that if given a choice I'd usually rather read, and if I don't catch a show from the start, I don't like to have to catch up later. But this summer I've started watching a few new shows based on things I'd read about them (I guess in summer lower-profile shows don't get buried in the coverage of all the new shows on the networks). And it's amazing what a difference it makes having a DVR so you can watch things on your own time. Anyway, here's what I've been watching:

Generation Kill. A 7-part HBO miniseries about the invasion of Iraq. Not only did it get good reviews, but it's by the creators of The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Street, so I pretty much had to at least give it a shot. Highly recommended. It doesn't try to tell the story of the whole war (or even the whole invasion), but rather focuses on one company's experience with the initial invasion, based on a book by a writer who was embedded with the company. I certainly (and thankfully) can't say whether or not it's actually realistic, but it feels like it is.

Long Way Down. I saw a blurb in the paper about this show on Fox Reality (a station I didn't know we had, or that I even knew existed...truth be told, as soon as I hear "Fox" I tend to be immediately turned off) and decided to check it out. The basic premise is that actor Ewan McGregor and a friend ride their motorcycles from the top of Scotland to Cape Town, South Africa. Promising so far, although I'm really not that into motorcycles and since they're not yet in Africa, motorcycles and gear have been a big part of the show in the first couple of episodes.

Breaking Bad. After only three episodes, this may be the darkest TV show I've ever seen. Which I guess isn't surprising when the premise of the show is that the lead character, a high school chemistry teacher, learns he has terminal lung cancer and decides to spend his remaining time learning how to cook crystal meth. I like dark comedies, and while this has its funny moments, its more dark than comedy. I also tend to like quirky, which this has in spades. The acting is excellent, but I'm still not sure what I think of it. I'm going to at least stick out the first season and see if I'm either hooked or repulsed.

The Olympics. Not. I'll have it on if I'm in the room, but overall I'm just not that into it (although I happened to catch the Michael Phelps race where he was toast but somehow managed to lunge to the finish and win by 0.01 second, which was kind of cool).