Wednesday, December 15, 2004

What a week!

After a fabulous week in DC, I arrived back in Basel this morning. The only negative of the whole trip was that my luggage didn't arrive in Zurich with me. Can anyone explain to me how United can lose my luggage on a direct flight from Dulles to Zurich?? Supposedly it has now been rerouted on a Lufthansa flight through Frankfurt and will be delivered to me sometime tomorrow. I really don't understand how they can manage to not put my bags on the plane with me considering I checked in with plenty of time prior to the flight in Washington. It just further confirms that Dulles is a mess of an airport. Without a doubt, the best part of my trip to DC was spending time with so many good friends. I think no matter how easy it is to adjust to living overseas you can never stop missing all the friends that are still at home. I also managed to do a ton of shopping and eat lots of good food at many of our favorite restaurants (eg. Jaleo for tapas, Raaga for Indian, Five Guys for a burger). I bought so much stuff during our visit that I filled an extra suitcase and still had to ship a big box as well! I reached a few conclusions after spending a week back home in DC... 1) Both Kirk and I have become more patient and less-stressed living in Basel, but our tension levels can easily be raised back to high by driving in DC traffic for a week, 2) While I enjoyed visiting with friends from my old office, I absolutely do not miss working, and 3) Diet Coke really is better than Coca-Cola Light!