Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hit music

I've noticed that one of the new videos getting heavy play on MTV and the other video channel we get here is "Over and Over" by Nelly and Tim McGraw. Could someone please explain to me how these two decided to pair up for a hit record? That's got to be the most unusual duo I've seen in a while. Speaking of videos, I've recently noticed a fair number of remakes of old hits. I suppose it's technically condisdered sampling rather than a remake, but let's not get technical. My newest favorite is "Star to Fall" by Cabin Crew. It's based on the 80's hit "Waiting for a Star to Fall" by Boy Meets Girl. It's eerily similar to Eric Prydz' "Call on Me" video. Another new video I saw in recent days is "Nasty Girl" by someone named Nitty (who is he?). I guess it's based on the 60's song "Sugar, Sugar", and I really like it. Although it's already been in rotation for the past couple months, you should also check out "The Sound of San Francisco" by Global Deejays. Are any of these songs popular in the US?