Sunday, June 12, 2005

Kate

I learned yesterday that another beautiful soul has gone to heaven. Kate was a hospice nurse in Madison that we met last summer during my Mom's final months of life. She was a very special person that will always have a place in my heart. Although we met her only a couple times, she was with us the night my Mom died, and having her there with us is something I will always remember. Like all the people we met through hospice, she was an amazing person with a true gift for caring for others. Now, just a few months after being diagnosed with cancer, she died with her colleagues at hospice as her end-of-life caregivers. How ironic it is to me that someone who gives her life to help others deal with the challenges of living and dying was herself vulnerable to such an early death. While on the topic, let me just do a bit of a commercial for hospice. If you're ever looking for a worthy organization to support, please consider the hospice center in your local area. I can't even begin to tell you how important their support was to our family last summer. Even now, a year after we were first introduced to our nurse Sheryl, she remains an important friend in my life. I found this article written last year by Kate about her experience as a hospice nurse. It really captures the dedication and passion that she had for her work.