Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I'm a cheesehead

I saw a guy at the gym yesterday that I hadn't seen in a couple months (his wife just had a baby) and it reminded me of a funny story from this summer. I used to see this guy quite often. At the gym in the mornings, at the pool in the afternoons, etc. He's also a "trailing spouse" like me, meaning they moved here from overseas and his wife works but he doesn't. We got into a conversation one time at the pool about how we spend our freetime and how life has changed since moving to Basel (he moved here from Canada). He was telling me how he is much more fit now that they were living in Basel because his schedule allows him to get much more exercise. I commented that while I have much more free time than before, and while I'm quite active (perhaps moreso than I was in Washington), that I still don't feel any more fit. I mean, it's not like I've gained the Basel 15, but I certainly haven't lost any weight since living here. So I told him about how I found it hard to lose weight here because of the food. I love it all, and lots of it tends to be heavy, not healthy. This was his response: "Ohhhhh..... You like the cheese!"

It's true. I like the cheese.