Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The bachelorette

I guess I haven't done much blogging recently. Actually, not at all since we've been back from Amsterdam. I suppose it's because there's not too much exciting going on to talk about. I'm living the life of a bachelorette this week since Kirk is in Cairo. Frankly, it's not a whole lot different than when he's here, because even while he's in Basel he works so much! I guess the biggest difference is that I eat dinner earlier (like 6 or 7) when he's gone (rather than 9ish). Nonetheless, I'd rather have him here! It's funny. You'd think that I would sleep in a bit when Kirk's out of town, considering I really don't have to be up for anything early in the morning and I certainly don't set an alarm when he's gone. But it's just not possible! I still wake up every morning between 6:30 and 7:00, as usual, and I'm physically incapable of staying in bed any longer. Especially once I hear Grady flopping around outside our closed bedroom door (he's not allowed in) anxious for his morning walk. I've always been a morning person, and I suppose that's a good thing these days, otherwise I could've slept away my 2 years in Basel.

Other stuff that's going on... I went to a doctor on Monday to see if he could help with some back pain (presumably pregnancy-related) that I've been having for the past couple weeks. Unfortunately, he couldn't pinpoint anything wrong with me, partially because it wasn't bothering me that much on Monday morning. But he did talk to me about the importance of posture, and suggested I change the way I sit and bend over, etc., so I don't irritate it further. When I asked if there were any exercises I should avoid at the gym, he said: "If it hurts, don't do it". Good advice.

I finally started watching Six Feet Under, thanks to Ms. Mac who lent us the first season on DVD! I really like it, and my friend Lee was right about the lone tree in our neighborhood field looking exactly like the tree in the opening footage of the show.

I went to France yesterday to do some shopping at GĂ©ant. I think it was the first time I've ever been there and didn't get annoyed with the crowds. Usually it's a madhouse in there. Maybe Tuesday mornings are the best time to go! They have a few things there that I really like to buy, including American style sandwich bread which is perfect for making grilled ham and cheese. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the bread in Switzerland. But you can't use it for grilled ham and cheese and sometimes I need some comfort food. They also have cold, non-UHT milk in a plastic jug that's only 1.5% fat as opposed to the Swiss "low-fat" 2.7% milk, which sits on a shelf in a paper box. I've never been able to get used to that.

How's that for a boring post. I'm off to the gym, and I'll be sure not to do anything that hurts.