Monday, February 06, 2006

It's all good

Not that I've seen much of it, but Cairo seems like a pretty fascinating place. I've been working, plus it's hard to get around because this is a MASSIVE city, but this evening they arranged to take a few of us to the Al-Azhar Mosque, which dates back to 972 AD, and to the Khan el-Khalili bazaar, which was chock full o' touristy crap but fun nevertheless. I'm just glad we had a guide with us, because if I had to find my way out of there on my own I would still be lost. Also, for the first time I heard the call to prayer by the muezzin, and almost as exciting, I learned how to pronounce muezzin (I always thought it was MEW-zin, but it's actually more like mWAH-zin). Otherwise I've hardly had a chance to leave the hotel (which doesn't seem to be close walking distance to much), but I'm hoping to get to the pyramids soon. Plus, I'm getting a little taste of US pop culture since the Super Bowl is being re-shown tonight...but at least I'm eating a nice bowl of hommos with it, so I'm not a totally ugly American.