Saturday, February 04, 2006

Pferde season?

As we've written before, you can sometimes find horse (Pferde) meat served here at restaurants and sold at grocery stores. It's weird to me. I guess, in a way, it shouldn't be any stranger than eating all the other animals that we eat regularly. But still. Eating horse is not a normal thing to us Americans, so it always kind of freaks me out when I see it. I'm wondering if it's a special horse season right now. As I was stocking up on groceries at Coop Gartenstadt earlier today, I passed a special display (which is not normally there) of Pferde salami.



A few minutes later, as I entered the frozen food section, I saw another special Pferde-related display, this one advertising Fondue Chinoise Pferdefleisch (horse meat). Fondue Chinoise is a type of fondue that seems to be popular here in Switzerland, and which has nothing to do with China or Chinese food. I've never tried it, so I can't really judge it, but I'll stick with cheese fondue. Check this out-- I just noticed, as I looked up these products on the Coop website, that the Pferdefleisch in the Fondue Chinoise comes from "USA"! How disturbing! So we may not eat horse in the US, but we apparently ship it over to Switzerland to be served as fondue!