Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Molly needs a home

Any of you veteran Expatter readers will remember the story of my Mom's dog, Molly. After my Mom died, I had to find Molly a new home. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. It broke my heart that I couldn't keep her, but I knew that bringing her to Switzerland was not the right thing. I had really bonded with Molly during the 4 months I stayed with my Mom in 2004, and saying goodbye to her was like having to say goodbye to my Mom all over again. Fortunately, I was really happy with the home we found for her. I've kept in touch with her new owner, she would sometimes send me pictures, and I even visited them when I was back in Wisconsin last August.

I had always told Molly's new owner that if for any reason she felt she couldn't keep her, I would want to know before she gave her away. I never really expected that would be the case, but I knew that I would want to help find her a new home if it came to that. Now I'm faced with knowing that Molly needs a new home. I got an email from her owner yesterday explaining the circumstances, and although there's not a problem with Molly, it's become difficult (and unfair to Molly) to keep her. Molly really needs someone who doesn't work full-time and can spend time during the day with her, and that's no longer possible in her current home.

I'm thankful that Molly's owner contacted me, but I'm also sad to think that she has to relocate once again. Of course I know she'll adjust with no problem, because she loves anyone who pays her any attention! But still... I know how hard it is to find a good home for a dog you care about. I've told Molly's owner that I would put the word out to all my friends to see if anyone knows of someone interested in providing a loving home for a precious 6-year old golden retriever/lab/collie mix. You never know who might be out there. Please let me know if you have any ideas!