Thursday, April 06, 2006

At your service

I've been traveling for work fairly extensively for about the past 5 years or so, and yet until my recent trip to Cairo there was one thing I had amazingly never done: order room service in the hotel. That's partly because I tend to have a lot of work dinners and partly because when I don't have a work dinner, going out to eat is a nice treat. Room service always seemed like such a waste when there was good local food to eat. But when I was in Cairo my hotel wasn't near restaurants, I had to do some work in my room, and they had Lebanese/Egyptian food on the room service menu, so I figured why not? And despite my reluctance, I have to say I rather enjoyed it. Now I'm sitting in my hotel room in Frankfurt where I decided to order in because I had a bit of a stomachache and so skipped out on a work dinner. Since eating out is one of my great pleasures I don't think it will become a regular thing, but I have to say there's something kind of nice about being able to kick off my shoes while watching BBC and not feeling like a leper sitting at a table for one in some chichi restaurant. (And with all due respect, missing a night on the town in Frankfurt isn't exactly a terrible loss...)