Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The price of living in Switzerland

We all know that it's expensive to live in Switzerland. Considering we've been living here for over two years now, we've had to get over it. So what if I pay the equivalent of $10 US for 2 chicken breasts? At least they're good. So what if we pay the equivalent of $5+ US for a gallon of gasoline? We love having a car and will drive anyway. There are certain things you can't live without, so you pay the price. Here's a good example. Today I finally bought contact solution. I've been procrastinating, because I've been meaning to pick it up in Germany or France where it's cheaper. But I finally gave in. I don't want to use anymore of my small travel size containers for everyday use. They're too important to have when it comes time to travel (and that time will come again!). I paid 24.90 CHF for a container of contact solution. It is the exact same thing (and same size) I would buy at home. 24.90 CHF is the equivalent of $20.30 US. How much would I pay for this product at home (at Target, for example)? Most likely $6.99 US. So there you have it. That's the price of living in Switzerland.