Monday, May 29, 2006

Ich bin ein Berliner

I only had a few free hours during my trip last week to Berlin, but I still managed to get out and see a couple of sights close to the hotel in the Mitte area. I saw the famous TV tower, which has been turned into a soccer ball for the upcoming World Cup:



I saw the kind of public art (could it perhaps be an advertisement?) that only seems normal in a place like Berlin:



I saw the inside of the Reichstag (Parliament):



And I saw the famous glass dome at the top of the Reichstag:



Perhaps best of all, I saw something I've never seen before in Europe--a guy walking around wearing a bratwurst grill:



The bottom line? Berlin is not a beautiful city (World War II and years of division took care of that), but it's one of the more fascinating cities I've visited. Hopefully we'll have a chance to get back before returning to the States (it's on a long list of places to see over the next 8 months or so).