Thursday, May 25, 2006

Auffahrt and other random thoughts

Today is Auffahrt in Switzerland, which is Ascension Day in English. I'm always amused at how many obscure religious holidays are national holidays in Switzerland, especially considering that it's not really a church-going country. I grew up in a church-going, Christian home, yet I never remember hearing anything about Ascension Day. So it is very quiet around Basel today. I just took Grady for his mid-day walk and it was even quieter than a Sunday in our neigborhood. I suppose that's because schools usually take a few days of holiday around Auffahrt so many families may have gone out of town. And of course this means that all stores and businesses are closed. I made the mistake of shopping at Coop yesterday at 3:00 (just an hour before closing time on the day before a holiday) and you would've thought it was the day before the Super Bowl in the US or just before the arrival of an anticipated blizzard in DC. Complete chaos!

I guess in Germany the holiday is called Himmelfahrt. That actually makes a bit more sense to me, since it translates to "going to heaven", as opposed to
Auffahrt, which translates to "going up" in Swiss German. My German teacher LOVES to correct me whenever I use a Swiss word, as opposed to the appropriate Hochdeutsch (German) word. She doesn't like when I say I took the Tram to class today (it's Strassenbahn in German), or that I made Poulet for dinner last night (it's Hähnchen in German), and certainly I should never make the mistake of saying Gruetzi to her! Please, get over it, I live in Switzerland and these are the words I use.

I realize I haven't blogged much lately, but that's because I just don't have a lot to say! My days have become very different lately as I'm slowing down a bit. My due date is 4 weeks from tomorrow, and considering 36 weeks is considered full-term, I guess I would be considered full-term as of tomorrow. I'm trying to take it easy and stick around the house more than I used to... still working on cleaning and organizing and getting things ready for Baby's arrival. I nap more, I sit on the couch and read more, I pee more (my bladder is now super tiny) and I eat more little meals throughout the day (because there's just not enough room in there for big meals!). I'm also trying to get together with friends as much as possible for coffee or lunch or just a chat, knowing that the day will be coming soon when I won't see them as much as I do now. Between taking Grady for his regular 3 walks a day and doing the shopping and cooking and cleaning and laundry I'm generally exhausted at the end of the day. How do all these working women keep up at their jobs when they're Hochschwanger like me? I just learned that word in my German class, it means very pregnant, which I am now.

I'm off to fetch Kirk, who is just arriving back from his work trip to Berlin. I hope we can plan a trip back there this fall with the little one, because it's been six years since I've visited that amazing city and I really want to see it again. Thanks to Auffahrt, Kirk doesn't have to go into the office today, so he'll be at home with me working on assembling Baby's new changing table!