Thursday, May 24, 2007

Missing Switzerland

We had been warned about the challenges of reentry back to the US after living as an expat overseas. That being said, I have to say that my adjustment has gone fairly smoothly... at least so far. Of course there are things I miss (mainly my friends), but in general I am very happy being here. I absolutely LOVED my three year experience in Basel and wouldn't trade it for anything, but now I'm enjoying lots of good things here as well. Friendly people, convenient shopping, lots of good ethnic food, being closer to family, a big washing machine, real Diet Coke... these kinds of things. It's home, and it's comfortable.

Just a few minutes ago I was struck with a huge dose of "I miss Switzerland". While listening to Baby crying in the next room as she struggles to fall asleep for a nap, I decided to take a look at a few blogs. I haven't read blogs in months. I don't think I've looked at some of my favorite expat-in-Switzerland blogs since we left Basel in March. And you know what? I couldn't do it. I started to read one or two entries, and all it took was seeing some pictures of mountains and hearing some stories about travel, or Swiss food, or a beautiful sunny day, and I had to stop. It was weird. It's like I'm just not ready to read about what my life used to be like. Instead I'll continue working on keeping myself happy in what my life is now.