Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Happy birthday, you old man!

What can I say, I'm married to an old man. He's officially "over the hill" today. You can figure out how old that is, I suppose he doesn't really want me to write it down. I guess he's like a fine wine-- only getting better with age! Last night I told him about his birthday surprise. I'm terrible about keeping secrets and couldn't hold it in any longer. I'm taking him out to dinner!

I know, you're thinking that's no big deal. But for us, it is a big deal! This will be our first real date in 17 months. You do the math... Baby is 17 months old... so that means Kirk and I haven't been out on a date since before she was born. It's so pathetic, I know. I've tried not to let it get to me. We always loved going out to eat and I NEVER would have wanted it to be this way, that we'd be one of those couples who never go out anymore after their baby is born. But we never could have predicted the circumstances our daughter would present... never taking a bottle, total boob dependency for many months, being a totally unpredictable (and unreliable) sleeper who could never be soothed by anything or anyone other than Mom... all of this means we've never had a babysitter. Until now. Tonight, after Baby is sleeping, a friend will come over and stay with her for a couple hours. I am SO grateful to this friend! Now I can take my very deserving husband out for a nice dinner to celebrate his birthday!

Happy birthday, Kirk! I love you!