Tuesday, December 11, 2007

This ain't no Duncan Hines

For some reason, Kirk doesn't generally like cake. I, on the other hand, love all forms of cake. In anticipation of his upcoming birthday, I really wanted to make him a birthday cake this past weekend. We had a group of friends over on Sunday to celebrate several birthdays (there are 4 December birthdays in this group) so I figured that was the perfect time to try out a new recipe. When I asked Kirk last week if there was any kind of cake he would eat (other than his favorite pumpkin pie which doesn't count as a cake), his response was something like: "The kind I would like would probably be too complicated to make". That's because I usually make cakes that come in a box, like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. But for him, I would be willing to make a real cake. A cake from scratch.

He suggested some kind of chocolate cake that had raspberries layered inside. So I searched "chocolate cake" and "raspberries" on Epicurious (my favorite recipe site). And I found a real gem. I was a little nervous because I'd only made a cake from scratch one other time-- a red velvet cake for my Mom's 70th birthday a few years ago. Although it may have been more complicated (and time consuming) than the dinner I prepared for 11 people plus 8 kids, it actually turned out! Everyone (including Kirk) said it was delicious, and I'm pretty sure they weren't just saying that.