Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Just a few examples

I just had to follow-up to my post yesterday about the unsolicited eczema advice I get from strangers. This morning, while shopping at Ann Taylor Loft, the sales woman suggested I give Baby an oatmeal bath and moisturize her skin with shea butter. Good advice, yes. Unsolicited, yes. Worth a try, no. We're way beyond oatmeal baths and shea butter.

A short time later, while playing in the kids section at Barnes and Noble, a woman (another customer) offered the strangest advice I've heard yet. Apply a bit of Pepto Bismol to all affected areas of Baby's tender little skin. Pepto Bismol?

Perhaps worth a bit more exploration was her other advice. Neem. She talked of the Neem trees that grow in her native Pakistan and their healing ability. She said I could buy soaps and lotions made with Neem at local Indian stores. I just googled "Neem" and "eczema" and discovered that lots of people suggest this method. I'm not inherently opposed to herbal remedies, and I think my time in Switzerand opened my eyes to their value (gotta love the Fenchel Tee for Baby's sensitive tummy), so maybe I should look into this Neem stuff.