Monday, May 29, 2006

On its last legs?

Let's say it's a miserable, rainy Sunday and you have two choices for how to spend your day:

(1) Do your US taxes, which are due soon (expats have an automatic extension) and which will be even more complicated than usual this year because of the settlement of Gretchen's mom's estate; or

(2) Go through your CDs to see what you haven't yet loaded onto your iPod.

Want to guess which I chose? I was surprised at how much of our music we hadn't yet put into iTunes. I ended up spending hours loading songs, which really wasn't so bad, especially considering the alternative. Plus, I managed to purchase these gems on iTunes in a quest to fill some gaps in our collection:
Erasure: "Oh L'amour" (and no, I swear I'm not gay)
Wall of Voodoo: "Ring of Fire" and "Mexican Radio"
The Beat Farmers: "Lost Weekend" and "Happy Boy" (great college memories from a local San Diego band...rest in peace, Country Dick Montana)
Talking Heads: various early songs
Tom Tom Club: "Genius of Love"
Thompson Twins: "Hold Me Now" (are you sensing an '80s theme yet?)
Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz: "Get Low" (a request from Gretchen--seriously)

The only problem? By the time I finished there was more music loaded into iTunes than space on our iPods. In trying to get around this, I first accidentally deleted all of my meticulously constructed playlists from my iPod. Then, tonight I took it one step further and somehow managed to delete the entire contents of my iPod. Luckily I figured out how to get it back, but when I was transferring all 15 gigabytes worth of songs, the battery on my iPod died. This wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, except I had just charged it overnight and unplugged it less than an hour ago. This doesn't bode well--I fear my poor iPod is finally on its last days. I've always heard that low battery life is the bane of iPods, and since mine is now a couple of years old I suppose I should be grateful it's lasted this long. Tomorrow may be a very sad day...