Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A week at the beach, part 2

Don't be fooled by this lovely picture...



...she didn't like the beach anymore last week than she did earlier in August. But at least she let me set her down for a picture (and she even almost smiled)!

Despite her constant whining of "no like sand anymore" (as if she ever DID like the sand), Madchen and I had a great week at the beach last week. Thankfully, there are two gorgeous pools that we could use since swimming in the Gulf (and walking on the sand) was not an option. The two of us flew down to Florida to spend the week with my sister and two of her kids at our family's condo in Perdido Key. This is the condo that my sister and I inherited from our parents in 2004, just a month before it was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. It's now rebuilt, refurnished, redecorated, and completely beautiful (and available for rentals, if you're interested).

This is the third time I've been down there in the last couple years, and this was by far the best trip of all, despite the oppressive heat and humidity (what do you expect in Florida in August). The first time we went down there after returning from Basel (May 2007) we spent the whole week furnishing and decorating the otherwise-empty condo. Later that year (October 2007), Kirk joined us (for his first trip to the area) for what we had hoped would be a relaxing, off-season beach vacation. Instead, it rained, he got sick, blah blah blah, it was at best a "sort of fun" vacation.

This time, it was pure vacation. We had very little work/upkeep to do on the condo, and the weather was beautiful. We spent countless hours in the swimming pool, I went for peaceful beach walks by myself when Madchen was napping, we ate lots of yummy fish and seafood, and I read a whole book. Best of all, we got to spend time with my sister and her kids. We're hoping to meet down there again next year, same time, same place.