Monday, June 13, 2005

My broken dryer

Our dryer broke last night. It just stopped, mid-load, after having been used for about 10 hours (with a few breaks while I was out in the afternoon-- I never like to leave the dryer running when I leave the house for fear of fire). Calling the repairman and scheduling a time to get something around the house fixed is enough of a pain at home, where I speak the language and know who to call, but facing this task in Switzerland always gets me frazzled. It's one of those things I really hate dealing with in another language. Right now I'm waiting for my landlord to come home so I can ask her who I should call to get it fixed. Then I will call the repair people (presumably once the lunch "hour" is over after 2:00) and say "Unser Trockener ist kaputt." That much I can say. Actually, I can say a lot more than that, but talking on the phone in a foreign language is always much more difficult than in person. I guess because you can't use body language. It's a rainy afternoon and it would have been a perfect day to do laundry, but I guess it'll have to wait until later in the week to finish. Have we ever written about the incredibly annoying laundry process here in Switzerland? Perhaps I'll save that for another posting. I know that I really shouldn't complain, considering we have our very own machines in our basement so we don't have to worry about signing up for "laundry day" like so many others do in Switzerland, but still... I can find plenty to complain about when it comes to the Swiss way of doing laundry. In short, it takes FOREVER!!