Sunday, June 12, 2005

On the road to America

That is the name of the new McDonald's promotion in Switzerland. I've just started to notice their new billboards around town promoting this special, so I had to go online to read all about it. One of the billboards says "Wild, wild esst!" (I suppose esst comes from the verb essen, or to eat, in German). Another sign says something like "Kau, boy, kau, girl" (I think kau comes from kauen, which is to chew). Very clever, huh? Over the next several weeks they will be offering 3 new burgers, presumably which are supposed to be "American" burgers. My question is-- aren't all burgers inherently American? Anyway, the special burgers are as follows: Texas BBQ, Spicy Mex, and Canada 'N Cheese. I'm sure the Mexicans and Canadians will be pleased to know they are considered part of America for the purposes of McDonald's burger promotions in Switzerland. When I mentioned this to Kirk, always the wise guy, he said "Well, maybe they mean North America". You may recall that earlier this year McDonald's was advertising special Swiss burgers, including the "Fondue Extra" and the "Rösti Special". I seem to recall that The Big Finn may have tried them, and I'm hoping he'll check out the new American burgers for me and report back. I don't expect to try them myself.